The massage cross friction is a technique used to massage sport and sprained ankles. It helps accelerate the healing process and prevents the formation of scar tissue. A sprain is one of the most common types of ankle injuries, especially in sports. Is the result of stretching or torn ligaments? Most of the times, is caused sprained ankle sprain by which the sole of the foot facing inward, hurting ligaments found in the outer ankle. The massage cross friction applied to the ligaments injured after severe stage will help prevent the formation of scars. This will take about five days after the sprain.
- Wait at least 48-72 hours before starting any massage, which should only be made in the sub-acute and acute stage.
- Make sure there are no contraindications such as a broken bone, an open wound, skin infections, tendon rupture, or the like. In case you are, you cannot do the massage.
- Feel the person with the sprain in a comfortable position. Stretching the foot with the heel sprain to the ligaments is in an extended position.
- Apply a deep and direct pressure on the ligament using a single finger. Start the massage at a point that is slightly away from the sprained area, and then gradually get close to there. Beam massage deep back and forth through the ligament, not along the same. You should feel the ligaments below the skin.
- Slowly starts massaging deeper, but within the limits of pain, continue the massage for five to ten minutes.
- Massage the ankle with the same technique every other day, not every day. After the art of massage deep, the injured ankle will need time to recover. If pain or swelling is worse the next day, then postpones the massage.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not use oils or lubricants because the massage will be more effective if you can become the injured ligaments. When using oil, your fingers will slip and not work as well.
- By massaging perpendicular to the ligament rather than lengthwise, you’ll help the tissue does not form scars and realign the collagen fibers, this will speed up the healing process.
- It is essential to have a thorough knowledge of the anatomy of the ankle and know where the ligaments attach to know where best to massage them.